Thursday 30 May 2019

仕事と社会


Blog#3
 It already the third week since I have arrived Japan and there is only one week left until I get back to Canada. The time goes really fast and I want to write about what I have experienced since I finished the previous blog.
Last week, I went to a home visit from Friday to Sunday and I learned a lot from my host family. First of all, I had a really closed observation for the traditional Japanese family and how their daily are. From my experience of the home stay, I learned that Japanese family might be unable to have dinner as the whole family if there is someone working overtime sometimes. In my case, the host family and sister works until eleven o’clock so the host mother didn’t choose to wait them for the dinner. The Japanese situation that someone in this family cannot get home untimed. Last time I only done the research about how Japanese jobs impact single people life, and this time I find out how jobs influence the Japanese family. And according to the conversation with my host father, I also discover something about the current Japanese workplace. The retired age in Japan is normally 60 years old, however, because of the hard work in workplace and lake of young workers in whole Japanese society, the Japanese companies decide to hire the workers who are retired from that company which is called ‘rehired’. Another thing I learned is that now if people work overtime in Japan, they will get extra payment. In Canada, if people are working overtime such as work in holiday, they will get two times of their salary per hour but in Japan, people only get 1.3 times of the payment, and if they keep working though all night, they are still only able to earn 1.5 times of their salary per hour. Since the salary in Japan is even lower than Canada, working in Japan is not easy.
After the home stay, which was a very amazing experience for me, I got back to school and continue my class in the new week. This week, I worked on my final prestation and I use a questionnaire survey to do a research about procrastination. In the modern society, the procrastination exists in anywhere all-around human society. It not only influences the students but also has a huge impact to the workers. However, the procrastination has more impact to the students comparing to its impact to the workers, and that maybe depends on the workplace culture in Japan. For student, they will sometimes do their homework later even the deadline is the next day since the assignment has not become the most important thing they have to deal with it yet. But for workers, if they cannot finish their work today, the work will become more and more in the second and third day because they will have same amount of work every day. If they push them back, it will become a vicious cycle for their jobs.
There is only a week left for my Japanese program, so I am going to discover more during the next weekend and I hope I can find out more about the Japanese society.

No comments:

Post a Comment